[EMAIL PROTECTED] mused:

> We toasted the New Year with a Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin. Not a vintage
> Champagne, but an excellent bubbly nonetheless.
> Paul

Indeed.

We've just finished the other half of our bottle over lunch
(prosciutte, salame & brie/camembert sandwich in a croissant);
it was very pleasant.  Just why we just about only drink
Champagne at the New Year is a good question; perhaps we'll
remember how good it is with lunch more often in future.

Now to make sure we've got everything we're going to need
for dinner tomorrow.  The first weekend of the New Year I
usually try a little harder than usual, normally with a
fairly traditional British Roast Beef & Yorkshire Pudding.
This year I'm doing Beef Wellington (though still with the
Yorkshire), Roast Potatoes, Snap Peas, and Asparagus with
Hollandaise Sauce, and a 1990 Cote d'Or a friend gave us.