On Sunday 02 January 2005 12:27, JP M wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Yes, I already have the K to M42 adapter on the K1000.
>  I've been using some Kodak Retina IIIs lenses with a
> Deckel to M42 adapter stacked on the K to M42...
>
> I need a pointer to a "good" one.  Meaning an M39 that
> has the proper (weird) Leica pitch and that is made of
> something other than cheap plastic or sticky aluminum.
>
> Or better yet, if there is such an animal as a LTM
> lens directly to K adapter...
>
> Best,
> Jeff

As I recall, an early Soviet SLR, the Zenit 3m, used the same M39 lensmount as
the Leica (and Fed, and Zorkii), but, being an SLR, the film-to-flange
distance was different.  Upshot being:  you couldn't use LTM lenses on
it--they wouldn't focus to infinity.  They would, however, mount, and focus
just fine for close-up work.  Alfred Klomp has a few examples here:

http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/combos/index.htm

Zenit, Pentax, and Praktica all have the same film-to-flange distance, which
means that Soviet M39 SLR lenses can be used with M42 SLRs by means of an
M39-M42 adapter.  These are available, if you look, on ebay.  (as I recall,
they are also useful for enlarging work:  with one such, I imagine you can
use a single lensboard drilled to M42 for both M42 and M39 enlarging lenses).

This adapter can then be screwed in to an M42 to K adapter, as needed.

Again, there isn't much point to using LTM lenses on a pentax body unless
you're looking for closeup capabilities...whereupon it may be a good idea to
have a bellows handy.

-Luigi