Bill,

I have seen late night TV commercials for real Naugahide jackets, and they
are very cheap and fashionable.

I remember one some 22 to 25 years ago with John Belushi on Saturday Night
Live... "Naugas, We stun them, we kill them, we skin them, all to bring you
these fine leather products".  <g>

Regards,  Bob S.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Actually, the Nauga is a recently domesticated animal somewhat
 related to the common Bison. The reason I know this is because
 much of the work in cross breeding to perfect the animal was
 done right here in Saskatchewan at the University of
 Saskatchewan's agricultural campus in Saskatoon.
 The hide of the animal is quite unique, in that it is much
 softer than leather, but still quite durable. This makes it
 suitable for applications such as furniture and automobile
 upholstery.
 The animals grow to maturity very quickly, but unlike most
 ruminant animals, they are very efficient digesters of food.
 This two fold combination means that they are a very inexpensive
 animal to raise, hence the low cost of Nauga products.
 The meat of the Nauga is not pleasant tasting to humans, but
 dawgs seem to like it, and it is an excellent dietary source of
 protein for them. Most dawg food now is made from the meat of
 the Nauga. Because of this, dawg food has come to be known by
 the term "Naugey" (pronounced "noog/ ee)".
 So, the term Naugahyde should make one think of good quality and
 reasonable cost.
 Something like how we think of Pentax.
 William (WW) Robb