(resent because it didn't seem to get thru 1st go)

Thanks Frank. Although I must say that it probably scores zero on
originality- there was practically a swarm of shutterbugs eagerly waiting
their turn at the spot I  took the shot. Another interesting thing is I took
the shot handheld at 1/4! So that's what the Canon folk are raving about.
Here's hoping the Pentax band go the Konica Minolta way..

Cotty and Frank, very unfortunately, no I didn't meet Audrey Tautou, but
that would have been nice. I did, however, climb up the stairs toward the
Sacre Coeur (them French are madly in love with their stairs) that Nino
Quincompoix (sp!) went up when Amelie sent him on that little adventure. I
also did get to see the cafe they filmed at. You know.. just passing by,
that sorta thing. Nothing at all to do with the fact I saw the film 6 times
:-). What did you guys think of He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not?

Yes and as promised, there was a story. The Eiffel T on NY Eve was chaos. I
noticed this other girl also using a 20D, and in asking help me take a
picture of me with the Eiffel T in the background, we started chatting, and
turns out she and her husband (newlyweds) were from Cairns. Instant rapport.

Anyway, we weren't sure what would happen at midnight so we just decided to
stick around for a bit. Suddenly, right next to us (this was on the side of
the Ecole Militaire, in the first or second gardens from the tower) This
Asian guy started shouting 'Hey! Hey!' and it turned out someone had
snatched something of his. The next thing you know the whole place was
swarming with hundreds (very literally) of black youths running about in
different directions, and if they weren't grabbing things off people, they
were diverting attention from people who had things grabbed. Anyway, the
Asian guy tried to get what he lost back, and the next thing you know, he
was on the ground being beaten up by a whole group of black youths. Noone
helped because there were so many of them and everyone seemed to prefer
keeping a low profile. In the madness my two new friends and I stayed with
our backs as close to the fence as possible and sometime inbetween, one kid
tried to grab my friend's Manfrotto tripod with the 20D on it! Luckily she
had her leg sorta wrapped around the tripod so the guy gave up after a
while. Another girl had her purse snatched and was crying for the thief to
give it back but he just brushed her aside as if she wasn't there.

Next thing you know, some sort of police presence shows up about 15 minutes
later and they start running along in single file, to some people's relief.
However, just after they pass by, following them from the back was a younger
group of black youths than the earlier gangs, and it seemed as if they were
somehow associated with the older gang's operation.

The three of us decided not to stick around to find out what was going to
happen next and we left to usher in the New Year elsewhere. Good thing we
didn't linger too. The next day I met another guy from Sydney (Aussies
everywhere) in the queue into Notre Dame, and he filled me in on what I
missed. It turns out just after midnight, a riot broke out and the riot
police used pepper spray to tackle the mobs. This guy somehow found himself
smack in the middle of the riot with his eyes burning, and only by luck did
he avoid being rounded up.

So that's pretty much the story. Other than that incident (which was, I
suppose, good in the sense that it made me paranoid about the safety of my
belongings), the Paris trip was great. I got to do most of the touristy
things that you can do in 4 days, Notre Dame, the Sacre Coeur, Jardin du
Luxembourg, Montmartre, the Moulin Rouge, the Eiffel Tower, Champs E'lysees,
the Arc du Triomphe, and a few others. My main regret was keeping the Louvre
til last. I expected it to close at about 7, so on my last day, after a lot
of walking and sightseeing, I rushed down and got there at 6.30pm. Turns out
most of it was already closed, so I didn't get to see the Mona Lisa (bummer)
other than her clones in the giftshop. Also, like a prize idiot I booked my
flight for 7.45am. So I more or less had to be at the airport at 5.45am,
which meant I had to leave by 4.45am- the RER didn't start til 5.30am. Which
left me with a EUR50 cab ride which did hurt my pocket.

Anyway there you have it- an update. I'm now in Singapore for slightly more
than a week before I return to Brisbane, and lucky I got back when I did. I
took very ill yesterday and visited the doctor straight from the airport.
Can't talk, can't swallow and can't seem to coordinate my movement either (I
tried to type this yesterday but for some bizarre reason I couldn't figure
out how to reply to an email message.). Time for meds.

Cheers & Happy New Year to all,
Ryan