That is true of MX meter systems. However when did they quit making the MX 1985 or so? That is 20 years ago. There are no new spare parts for an MX except what might be left over on the shelf. The advantage to the MX is the meter is merely a convenience not a necessity.

However, I would have thought the newer circuit board could be used in the older LX cameras. Usually they design them so they can do that.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"

William Robb wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graywolf" Subject: Re: *istD EOL...

AFAIK Pentax is still servicing LXen. After all it was only discontinued in 2000 (although they were almost impossible to get outside Japan).

It won't be the machanics that are the problem, it will be the electronic components.
As an example, when my fleet went in for service a couple of years ago, Pentax informed me that one of the cameras wasn't going to be an easy rtepair, as the main circuit board had been redesigned shortly after I bought my camera and was no longer available.
Pity, since that is what they wanted to change out.
I coaxed them into having one made by Pentax and shipped in, but it took forever, and I think they had a couple produced before they got one that worked in my camera.

According to my repair guy, the MX uses some proprietary electronic components that were custom manufactured for the camera, and when they die, thats it, no more meter.

William Robb