John,

I follow about the same practice as you.  Along with that, I charge
and put in a fresh set before each session that I would be shooting.
Session could be a walkabout, a portrait session, a wedding, an event
- whatever.  I don't have any quirky problems following this practice.

--
Best regards,
Bruce

jpc> Jerome Reyes mused:

>> I remember playing with a pre-production model a couple of years ago at
>> GFM before the camera hit the market. Everything worked fine on it...
>> except the battery indicator would flip out more often than not. It would
>> show depletion... but then if you turned the camera off and on, or better
>> yet just let it sit for a while, and it would be totally full again. The
>> joke was that the camera was self-charging. But in all seriousness, we
>> were told that this was the last kink in the system that Pentax had to
>> work out... but perhaps they didn't quite get it right until a few
>> production lines rolled.
>>
>> <shrug>

jpc> That's about my attitude to it, too.  I think the battery indicator just
jpc> samples the voltage occasionally, rather than being a continuous meter.
jpc> If the camera was busy (focussing, writing to the CF card, etc.) at the
jpc> time the voltage was measured, you can end up with a transient low-charge
jpc> indicator which goes away the next time the voltage is measured.  As you
jpc> have found, one way to force a new measurement is to turn the camera off
jpc> and back on again; I've found that simply half-depressing the shutter to
jpc> trigger the auto-focus, exposure metering, etc. generally works as well.

jpc> I've learned to ignore the transients.  But as soon as the indicator goes
jpc> off full charge, and stays there no matter what I do, I treat it as a
jpc> signal to change the batteries at the next convenient opportunity. That's
jpc> almost certainly an overly-conservative approach, but it's cheap enough;
jpc> I carry at least a dozen extra charged batteries as well as the eight in
jpc> the camera and grip.  I don't see the point in risking missing a shot by
jpc> trying to squeeze every last electron out of a battery.