Hello John
Trying to resore the AF280T is a good idea, not matter what. Use perhaps
welding lead and/or cupper or brass plates to provide contact surfaces. But
the AF280T flash don't have the AF assist beam.

I don't know P-TTL but I don't think I like it - 'cause it means pre-flash,
doesn't it? Pre-flash is a PITA for you as well as the "models". I would
personally never use a flash for the wedding ceremony. I wedding is a
precious time for the invilved parties - try to disturb as little as
possible.

I'd try to get a used AF500FTZ witch really works great with the *ist D. The
red assist light works W I T H O U T activating the RTF flash as AF assist.
Red light AF-assist is better (IMO) because it's not visible in the shots.

I recently bought a Metz 32CT3 including a Pentax-dedicated Metz red light
SCA 374-2 M1 adapter (I don't relly need it since I already have the SCA red
light adapter, I just bid for it 'cause it was very cheap - 20 Euro +
shipping). This flash/adapter set-up works just like the AF500FTZ, except it
also has NON-TTL Auto options (the Pentax AF500FTZ doesn't).

http://gallery46369.fotopic.net/p4483254.html
This shot I took with a handheld SONY DSC F7147 (no noisy shutter or mirror)
at 800 ASA without a flash at my daughters weeding in April 2004. Today I
would have used a monopod also, but  N E V E R   E V E R  a flash. A flash
would kill the atmosphere as well as annoy people in the church. Furthermore
it's naturally not allowed to use a flash in the church. Afterwwards at the
party it's maybe a different story....

Jens Bladt
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://hjem.get2net.dk/bladt