G> Certainly you and Paul (grin). I remember when we three argued the other way
G> around not too many years back. You and Paul claimed no one in their right
mind
G> would spend that much on a digital camera, and I argued that it made perfect
G> sense if you were trying to make a living with your camera.

It were funny discussions these days :) All the number crunching going
on.

G> I am actually pro digital --especially for professional use which has
nothing to
G> do with quality but everything to do with making profits--, but I find I
have to
G> argue for film for the exact reasons Frantisek mentions. And not having
invested
G> thousands on digital equipment I do not have to "justify" it to myself.

I do use digital daily, and I like certains things of it. I do use
film, not as much, but still a lot, especially when going on any kind
of trip. There are times I wish I could "afford" to shoot an event
with just the leica/film slr (there is one older PJ who was to Ukraine elections
with _just_ leicas, almost everybody else was sending jpegs over
the net...). There are times I am glad I shot something _not for
work_ on digital as well. Call me moody perhaps :)

Both processes have inconveniences for me - I am not that good at
darkroom work (and now with less and less practice, probably getting
worse), and I dislike having to stare on computer screen for too much
time (because I have been working on computers for too much of my life
already).

I feel both processes are different... just that, different processes.
One is sometimes better because it has some hard to define feel, be that
nostalghia, feeling of amateurism - meaning love of something, or of
simply a good workmanship done with love (of course, only if it was
done so). Like a good old wooden table has. But only in some cases.

But still, I don't know anybody (be it "pro" <g> or "amateur") for
whom digital has changed life significantly, made them instantly
happier or helped their karma ;-) while this is not an argument
against digital (god forbid!), it's an argument against arguments pro
digital ;-)

enough words from me, I don't aspire to thinking that my opinion is
so original as to be entertaining on the list. Please bear my posts me with
patience :)

Frantisek