--- Cerulean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Background info:  I got a non-functional black MX from
> an ex as a trade for my old barely-functional
> computer.  It came with three different lenses (don't
> have the info with me of what they are), plus misc
> filters, etc.  The camera is in desperate need of
> repair; the shutter release is stuck in the down
> position, the cloth itself looks like it's messed up,
> and the film advance won't advance.

The MX is not a very complicated camera to repair. A very common problem with
this
old camera is a long piece of metal arm (on the bottom of the camera) that
clocks
the mirror assembly was distorted slightly due to age. This results in complete
lockup with the mirror in down position while the shutter is being clocked but
cannot fire. To see if this is the problem of your MX, just check if that metal
arm
moves freely. If it doesn't, it is the source of problem. The solution is rather
simple. You only need to remove the bottom plate and get that piece of metal
out,
then use a pair of pliers to bend it back "very" slightly, apply some grease
and the
job is done. Unfortunately, I have not the MX anymore so I cannot show you
anything
visually. However, if you can snap a good pic with the bottom plate removed, I
might
be able to circle them out.

=====
Alan Chan