From: frank theriault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:54:45 -0500
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: OT-Coffee Theory-was: PESO: While the Dog Waited

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:52:02 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Bob aptly noted:

It's an American peculiarity to equate high popularity with high
quality.

Well, I can't dispute that. Popularity proves nothing. Witness McDonalds, Coca-Cola, and Budweiser. But as a lifelong coffee drinker who consumes upwards of a quart a day, I still contend that Starbucks is more drinkable than most. However, I didn't like it at first. The dark roast is definitely an acquired taste. I continued to drink ti because I found the one Starbucks that i frequent a pleasant place to spend an hour or two. Now I enjoy their coffee. Although I must add that I can make better coffee at home with Sumatra beans that I purchase in bulk and a simple coffee press. In any case this has wandered far off topic, and I'm sure it's taking far too much space. Paul

You're right, Paul, this is getting more than a bit OT, but that never stopped me before! <g>

I'm far from an expert in coffee (or anything for that matter <g>),
but I'll tell you (and everyone else) something.  If you want good
coffee, buy green beans and roast them yourself.  It's quite easy,
doesn't take all that long, and one learns a bit about the whole
coffee roasting thing.  I can't tell beans from one country or region
to another.  But, there's nothing as good as coffee from fresh (as in
5 minutes ago) roasted beans, freshly ground, brewed properly in a
French Press coffeemaker.

cheers,
frank

-- "Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." -Henri Cartier-Bresson