----- Original Message -----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 4:15 PM
Subject: pentax-discuss-d Digest V05 #70

------------------------------

pentax-discuss-d Digest Volume 05 : Issue 70

Today's Topics:
  RE: Pentax 1,000mm F8 K lens          [ "J. C. O'Connell"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: moving on - with the *istDS       [ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: PESO: This might bring a smile    [ Mat Maessen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: *ist ds review                    [ Billy Abbott
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: OT-Coffee Theory-was: PESO: Whil  [ Billy Abbott
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: *istD storage                     [ DagT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: OT-Coffee Theory-was: PESO: Whil  [ Bob W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  RE: flash for *ist D                  [ "Jens Bladt"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: *istD storage                     [ Frantisek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: *ist ds review                    [ Luigi de Guzman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: OT-Coffee Theory                  [ "Bob Blakely" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  RE: flash for *ist D                  [ "Jens Bladt"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: *istD storage                     [ Tim Sherburne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: moving on - with the *istDS       [ Gonz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ]
  Re: Finally - enabled                 [ "Shel Belinkoff"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  AW: flash for *ist D                  [ "Michael Heim"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  AW: OT-Coffee Theory-was: PESO: Whil  [ "Michael Heim"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  Re: OT-Coffee Theory                  [ Keith Whaley
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
  RE: The Great Gray Owl invasion       [ Andre Langevin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:49:26 -0500
From: "J. C. O'Connell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: RE: Pentax 1,000mm F8 K lens

fwiw, I bought one on ebay for about $700 three years ago,
then I got a M42 Tak version (no smc) about a year later for about $550,
and then I sold
the SMC K version for about $900.

I prefer the M42 version as it's a manual lens anyway, fits more
cameras, and the lack of SMC
doesn't really mean much on a 5 element lens. What I could have done
in hindsight was kept the SMC version and swapped the rear mounts
so I would have had a frankenlens, SMC PENTAX, with M42 mount.
Never occurred to me until now....

JCO

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:40:02 -0500 (EST)
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: moving on - with the *istDS

Rob Studdert mused:

> On 19 Jan 2005 at 12:40, Michael Heim wrote:
>
> > So in some situations the *istD seems to have problems with older
lences,
> > not optimised for digital cameras.
>
> Maybe you should check that your lens mounts are clean, I've had no
problems
> with older lenses and metering on the *ist D.

I wouldn't expect a dirty lens mount to cause this kind of problem;
I'd be much more inclined to suspect a sticky aperture diaphragm
on the lens, so it doesn't stop down fast enough.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:48:36 -0500
From: Mat Maessen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: PESO: This might bring a smile

Kind of scary that both animals are members of the same genus and
species, and yet so vastly different.

Great shot.

-Mat

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:56:37 +0000
From: Billy Abbott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: *ist ds review

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:13:38 +0000 (GMT), Kostas Kavoussanakis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think you put it in M mode and flick the AE-L button to get the same
> "Hyper-manual" mode as in the -D. You may also need to set a function
> to enable this.
>
> More from the owners :-)

As Kostas said, you set a custom function to allow the shutter to be
released on older lenses, put the camera in manual mode, stop down as
you would normally and then hit the AE-L button (I think the DoF
preview works as well) to stop down momentarily and meter. It then
sets the shutter speed to the correct speed for the exposure it
determines.

So, afaik the same as the *ist-D, apart from the colour of the button.
You also don't need any new firmware - the standard DS firmware does
this out of the box.

I think the metering modes are also restricted to centre and spot, but
that seems to be a fairly standard restriction as far as I have seen
so far.

billy
--
Billy Abbott
Photography - http://www.cowfish.org.uk/paw/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:00:10 +0000
From: Billy Abbott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: OT-Coffee Theory-was: PESO: While the Dog Waited

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:44:23 -0500, Graywolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Make no mistake substances used ceremonially in high concentrations are
not
> beverages they are magical drugs.

Sounds like coffee in my office...and we do refer to it as a magical drug.

And even when we don't make it ourselves it's served to us with great
reverence on a small raised podium at the end of an "altar" by someone
in an aproned uniform...a link to masonic ritual maybe?

:)

billy

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:03:22 +0100
From: DagT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: *istD storage

I have:
1GB Lexmark 80x with WA
1GB Sandisk Extreme
1GB Sandisk Ultra II

The two first have approximately the same speed (9s per RAW image),
while the Ultra II is slightly slower.

DagT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:15:46 +0000
From: Bob W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net

Hi,

> On the other hand, Coca-Cola *is* intended to be consumed as a beverage.
> BTW, I found the Ethiopian coffee article very interesting. Thanks to
whoever
> (Bob W?) shared it.
> Wonder if devout Rastafarians find party-use of marijuana offensive?

I don't think so.

Coffee doesn't have any religious significance with Ethiopians, so
it's not like ganja for rastas, and disrespecting is not, as someone
supposed, like pissing in a mosque.

Perhaps the nearest equivalent to their ceremony might be something
like passing the port round after a formal dinner, or enjoying single
malts, or vintage wine with friends, then finding out that people swig
it from paper cups in brown bags while walking to work in the morning.

It's difficult to find a modern European equivalent because we have all
but dispensed with that level of formality and ritual on a daily basis.

--
Cheers,
 Bob

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:49:29 +0100
From: "Jens Bladt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: RE: flash for *ist D

Intersting problem.
I just briefly tested 4 TTL-flashes on the *ist D at 200-400-800 ASA (same
speed and F-stop) :
AF500FTZ
Metz 32 CT3
Metz 32 Z-2
Pentax AF280T

The two first gave me the same problem as described by Micahael; brighter
image, when the ISO setting is turned up.
The two next flashes didn't. They gave me correct exposure, regardless of
the ISO setting at all three settings.

Other than that, I think the AF 500 FTZ works quite well with the *ist D.
Red AF assist light and all.

That's odd, isn't it?
Jens Bladt
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://hjem.get2net.dk/bladt

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:50:39 +0100
From: Frantisek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Ken Hauck <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>

Hi Ken,

try looking in www.robgralbraith.com

Good light!
           fra

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:58:30 -0500
From: Luigi de Guzman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 11:34, Dave wrote:
> This may have been covered, but can anyone describe how functional this
> camera is with a manual K mount lens?  I know the *istD has some sort of
> button, green I think that was enhanced via firmware for this.

Surf on over to my livejournal to see how functional my *istDS is with a
manual K-mount 50mm f/1.4 Rikenon.

To use manual lenses, you must enable the custom function that permits the
shutter to fire when the aperture ring of the lens is not set to "A".

You get centreweighted metering when you press the AE-lock button:  the
camera
will briefly stop down to the taking aperture, set a recommended
shutter-speed, and open up again.

Essentially, you get a digital spotmatic when you mount a manual K- or M-
lens.

-Luigi
http://www.livejournal.com/users/ouij

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:00:24 -0800
From: "Bob Blakely" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: OT-Coffee Theory

Everyone has different tastes. Mine is definitely not for Starbucks coffee.
I'm almost 58 years old now and have been drinking coffee since I was
perhaps eight years old, when my dad would bring home fresh ground 8 O'clock
Coffee from the A&P. (That's The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company to
you young'uns. - No, it did not stunt my growth.) My favorite coffees are
pure Kona or Blue Mountain, but they are quite expensive and rarely
available from coffee houses, though some independents will have Blue
Mountain on occasion or will order the beans for me. Sometimes I can
convince them to put several small crystals of sea salt in with the grounds
when they brew it. Starbucks over roasts their beans, and they do it for
good fiscal reasons. The over roasted beans have a longer shelf life and
have fewer problems in shipping. Over roasting produces a darker and more
acrid coffee with somewhat less caffeine. A darker look and an acrid taste
does not equal a rich flavor. Good beans, properly roasted and brewed
properly at the right temperature with the right flow, produce a rich,
flavorful, highly drinkable, non acrid taste. FYI, Starbucks is not in the
business of selling coffee any more than Kodak was ever in the business of
selling cameras. They are in the business of selling lattes, mochas and
various other made up drinks with Italian sounding names. These are drinks
with coffee in them, but with so much extra stuff that the taste of the
actual coffee is more like a condiment than the main course. As to
Starbuck's coffee requiring an "acquired taste", keep in mind that anything
that tastes like crap can become an acquired taste, even to the point that
you may believe that you can't live without it. This explains Scot's (or
scotch to some) whiskey. You may ask, "well how do you explain the great
popularity of Starbuck's?" First, they have the best marketing since
MacDonald's, and second, The common lemming effect. "Everyone thinks it's
good so it must be good and if I say I don't like it, then I will betray my
immaturity as a coffee connoisseur so I will drink it until I acquire a
taste for it and when I finely get to the point where it no longer gags me,
I'll tell everyone it's an 'acquired' taste thereby showing my
sophistication regarding the world of gourmet coffee." I am currently typing
this from "It's A Grind" where the coffee is smooth, rich and flavorful and
where the wireless internet is totally free.

Regards,
Bob...
"Don't be a lemming!" - R. Blakely

From: "frank theriault" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:10:14 +0100
From: "Jens Bladt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>

...I just made an interesting discovery.
I switched the red light SCA 374/2 AF adapter on the "faulty" Metz 32 CT3
flash, with a regular SCA-372 adapter.
Then the problem was gone. The same adapter was used on the previous test
with the Metz 32 Z-2, which performed fine.
I even tryed annother SCA 374/2 AF adapter to make sure this wasn't out of
order. Same result.

This leads me to this conclusion:
Red light AF-Assist don't work right with the *ist D! It may cause the TTL
to malfunction. To some extend, at least.

Even the "faulty" AF500FTZ has a built-in red light AF-assist. The
(correctly working) AF280T doesn't.

I have no scientific proof for this (I haven't got a clue about
electronics...), but it still strikes me as a plausible explanation.

All the best
Jens

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:11:52 -0800
From: Tim Sherburne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Pentax Discussion List <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>

For some reason, he took the Pentax scores off. I'm not sure why, and I
couldn't find an archive.

Tim

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:21:29 -0600
From: Gonz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net

This could happen if you didn't have the lens in the "A" setting.  Or if
it didn't have one and you didn't press the manual exposure button.

rg

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:21:01 -0800
From: "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: Finally - enabled

He didn't see the camera ... I was way in the back of the crowd, he was up
front near the podium.  It was dark, no flash was used. I was surprised
that the camera disturbed him, although earlier that evening I grabbed a
couple of shots at a photo exhibition, and caused a bit of a disturbance.
Two shots and I put the camera away.  I'd not realized how loud it was
until then.

Shel

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:31:49 +0100
From: "Michael Heim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: AW: flash for *ist D

For the AF500 that means: forget it. Right?

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:45:02 +0100
From: "Michael Heim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: AW: OT-Coffee Theory-was: PESO: While the Dog Waited

Drinks are often related with ceremonies. Remember the brits with their
afternoon tea, the asian or north african tea ceremony (for example in
Tunisia).
I think in none of these Countries, the ceremony is related to religion.

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:02:27 -0800
From: Keith Whaley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net

Bob Blakely wrote:

> Everyone has different tastes. Mine is definitely not for Starbucks
> coffee. I'm almost 58 years old now and have been drinking coffee since
> I was perhaps eight years old, when my dad would bring home fresh ground
> 8 O'clock Coffee from the A&P. (That's The Great Atlantic and Pacific
> Tea Company to you young'uns. - No, it did not stunt my growth.) My
> favorite coffees are pure Kona or Blue Mountain, but they are quite
> expensive and rarely available from coffee houses, though some
> independents will have Blue Mountain on occasion or will order the beans
> for me.

Either or both are excellent coffees. I always take home some Kona
coffee when we go to the Islands.

> Sometimes I can convince them to put several small crystals of
> sea salt in with the grounds when they brew it.

What does that do to it?

[...]

> As to
> Starbuck's coffee requiring an "acquired taste", keep in mind that
> anything that tastes like crap can become an acquired taste, even to the
> point that you may believe that you can't live without it. This explains
> Scot's (or scotch to some) whiskey.

That's "whisky," Suh!  Scotch malt whisky.
Thanks be Starbucks doesn 't serve (and ruin) good whisky too!

You may ask, "well how do you
> explain the great popularity of Starbuck's?" First, they have the best
> marketing since MacDonald's, and second, The common lemming effect.
> "Everyone thinks it's good so it must be good and if I say I don't like
> it, then I will betray my immaturity as a coffee connoisseur so I will
> drink it until I acquire a taste for it and when I finely get to the
> point where it no longer gags me, I'll tell everyone it's an 'acquired'
> taste thereby showing my sophistication regarding the world of gourmet
> coffee." I am currently typing this from "It's A Grind" where the coffee
> is smooth, rich and flavorful and where the wireless internet is totally
> free.
>
> Regards,
> Bob...

Keith Whaley
Member, "Friends of the Classic Malts ."  ;¬)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:09:53 -0500
From: Andre Langevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: RE: The Great Gray Owl invasion

Nice shots!

Reminds me of a case mentionned on TV last week, of a Grey Owl that
attacked a series of people in a small town.  Still far from
Hitchcock scene though...  But always puzzling to find aggressive
behaviour in normally non-agressive animals.

Andre

End of pentax-discuss-d Digest V05 Issue #70