> Where have you heard about these muggings? Most gun crime
> here is drug-related. I don't suppose you'll be getting
> involved in any of that.

I guess mostly on the Fodors and Frommers travel boards. I've been reading
the usual horror stories about pickpockets and purse snatchers. When I was
living in London I usually felt safer than I do here at home, but I haven't
been there since 1993, so I didn't know. But it sounds like it's fine over
there, and in NY I'm extremely protective of my stuff, so I guess I was
concerned  about nothing. Many thanks to everyone for the input!

Amita