Hmm.

I've carried digital cameras exclusively since 2002 on my
travels and not had a single problem with them. From visiting
Japan, to Australia, to the UK, to Paris, to Singapore, to
Brazil, to Mexico, to London and points east in the British
Isles. They're no more liable to be stolen than either my Hassy
or Leica or Nikons were, no worries about film through the
airport, etc.

Carry enough battery and memory, a backup storage device. Carry
a decent bag that will keep them from getting soaked in rain.
And don't worry about it, just take proper care and take
pictures as normal.

Godfrey