Tuesday, January 25, 2005, 12:35:25 AM, Tom wrote:
TC> It seems to me that the word chimping, as used on this list and I suppose
TC> others, has negative connotations and I'm not sure why... not picking on you
TC> CB...

I think the term comes from photojournalists environment, and was
meant in rather self-ironic sense. When I occasionally do a classical
news assignment, you can see all us photographers grabbing machinegun
style that ten seconds of a photo opportunity (the red carpet walk,
two figureheads shaking hands - of course they shake them for good ten
or twenty seconds so all of us can get it, and if not, sometimes we
can tell them to redo it <g>). Afterwards, you can see all the guys
instantly looking downwards and reviewing all the shots, doing quick
field edits and then dashing to the next opp. When a big gaggle of
journalists does that, it sure looks like chimpanzees ooking over
something (no offence meant to chimpanzees, by comparing them to
humans!), all in unisono...

Good light!
           Fra