I suspected that Rob's question was rhetorical, but as Ryan has tried to
figure it out I'll put in my two cents before the floodgates open.

This page:  http://www.erik-krause.de/index.htm?./panohead/index.htm  shows
the gear that is used, pretty basic pano gear IMO.  I wouldn't be surprised
if the author is using something more elaborate and 'neglecting' to tell us.

My guess as to technique:

Firstly the rig needs to be mounted on a sturdy pole so it can be extended
into the gap.  A full panorama is shot in EVERY direction including above
and below and every point between and around.  This is why I reckon that a
servo controlled rig is the minimum requirement, because the rig shown would
need to be withdrawn after each shot to be advanced to the next position.
The size of the pole and its support is of no consequence, it could even be
mounted on, and extended from, a vehicle.  It won't show up in the result
because.....

Secondly, the mount is moved to a new location, BUT, the camera is extended
to exactly (ideally) the same point in space.  This time the rig would be
mounted in the opposite orientation to the first series, i.e. if the rig was
first mounted above the pole with its vertical arm on the left of the
camera, the second time it would be suspended beneath the pole with the arm
on the right.  The second series doesn't need to be a full panorama, but
just enough to replace the vehicle, pole, and mount (that would have been
visible in the first series) with clean landscape.

Thirdly, spend very much time stitching the shots together.

Et viola.... a fully immersive panorama.  Easy peasy.

regards,
Anthony Farr