Fra: Mark Roberts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sendt: 28. januar 2005 02:38
Til: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Emne: Re: Things I like about aperture rings on lenses (was Re: Pentax
50mm News)

frank theriault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:13:30 +0000, Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 27/1/05, Derby Chang, discombobulated, unleashed:
>>
>> >Oh, just thought of one more. Aperture rings let you set hyperfocus
>> >distance (not that I do it that much)
>
>Well, not having any lenses without an aperture ring, I never
>considered the hyper-focus issue.
>
>That's a huge issue with me - I use it all the time, especially on the
>street!  One of my zooms (the Viv S1 f3.8 24-48mm, to be exact) has no
>dof scale next to the ring.

Well that makes an interesting point, doesn't it: Having an aperture
ring is no guarantee of having the necessary DOF markings. In fact,
*not* having an aperture ring is no reason why a lens couldn't have
these markings. All you need are the markings around the focusing mark,
not the aperture ring itself.

In fact, with a DSLR, they should be able to show DOF on the rear panel
LCD (with appropriate firmware), using the aperture and focus distance
information transmitted from the lens (and this would be particularly
useful with zooms). Minolta did this with a FILM camera fer cryin' out
loud! ;-)

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing