On Jan 29, 2005, at 10:38 AM, Pedro Oliveira wrote:

I bought the Fotodiox (http://www.fotodiox.com) kit here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3860687820

Thanks for the info.

With this kit you use 35mm film in a Pentax 6x7, 67 or 67II body. You
make 18 pictures out of a 36 exp. 35mm film (you use the 220 film
selector and pressure plate). That's the big advantage. If your
intention is to make 24x66mm panoramic photos, you don't waste 120/220
film.

I wouldn't say it'd be wasting 120 film as I like the idea of having the rest of the scene in the frame, and also not being tied to shooting only panoramas until the film is finished (I only have one body). Another bonus is that I won't have to use the glass holder in my scanner for 120 as I do for panoramic 35mm.

With the kit you get also a panoramic viewfinder mask that disciplines
the composition. You have a complete new approach to the subject with
this mask, different than with simple lines (like the Z1P/PZ1P).

That's the part I need at the moment but I'm intending to make my own. I'm not sure if I'll mask the surrounding frame out entirely, darken it (like when using the Photoshop crop tool), or just draw some lines.

I bought a second 6x7 (very early Mk I, non-MLU) body just to have the
kit permanently on. This is my "Hasselblad"...

I used to use a Mamyia RB67 which was quite easy to non-destructively adapt into using 35mm film with a bit of "kiwi ingenuity". It took me quite a long time to find a second 120 back to dedicate to panoramas (secondhand RB67 equipment wasn't easy to find here at the time). I liked that kit but the early lenses I had never really impressed me for landscape work. The other reason I switched to Pentax 6x7 is that a secondhand 45mm f/4 lens became available at a good price.

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/