i assume you are scanning negative film. have you adjusted the gain in the complementary (orange?) channel? that scanner should easily capture everything on the negative film. slides, it might have some problems with in the highest densities.

Herb...
----- Original Message ----- From: "Frantisek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Herb Chong" <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 8:55 AM
Subject: Re: Scanning woes...

Thanks. I will try that as soon as I find the microscope :-) So far,
dust&speckles removes is nicely, as it is really around one pixel
sized, but I have to mask some areas if there is enough similar pixel
sized detail there. It's not so bad. What's worse is the horrible
grain or noise I get scanning iso 800 films and adjusting the colour
temperature to correct for tungsten light. Blue speckled noise all
over. And sharp :-( It almost seems as the nikon is sharpening the
blue channel?!?