As a Finger Lakes native, I must say that it is not the driving around that gets you drunk. It is the vinyard stops along the way...

Stan

On Feb 1, 2005, at 10:10 PM, Graywolf wrote:

There are a lot of good vineyards in New York state. You can get awful drunk driving around the Finger Lakes area.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
-----------------------------------

John Francis wrote:
Bear in mind that there's a pretty high fixed cost to get a heavy
bottle of glass filled with mostly water onto your shelves (not to
mention any local tax on alcoholic beverages).
On the East coast (Boston/NY/Washington, etc.) wine from California
has to travel about as far as one from France, so both have quite
significant shipping costs.  That gets the prices a lot closer to
parity, and it's quite often possible to find a French import that
offers better bang for the buck than many domestic labels.
The closer you get to the West coast, though, the more the balance
shifts in favour of the domestic product.  It's also easier to find
a Californian wine close to the European style since several of the
larger French labels have set up their own Californian vineyards.
Tom C mused:
I'll have to try some of the more expensive domestic variety then. Thanks.

Tom C.