On 4 Feb 2005 at 22:49, David Mann wrote:

> If using Photoshop you can set it up to ask you what to do if the
> tagged colour space does not match your default working space when
> working space, or choose not to colour manage that file.  If the file
> is untagged it gives you the option of assigning a profile.  When in
> doubt use sRGB - if the colours look a little bit off try opening it
> again as Adobe RGB.

I think I mentioned it before but this is how I work in PS CS, any file without
an embedded CS is assumed to be sRGB however my working space is ProPhoto RGB
and as such I edit and save in 16 bit mode for all my primary edits.

> I have recently heard speculation of LCD screens with LED backlighting
> in development that can do Adobe RGB.  I don't know how far away from
> the market they are though.

Some time away I expect, just about when my new 22" CRT finally blows smoke
rings I hope.

> > Various colour spaces (including sRGB and Adobe RGB) and device
> > profiles can be
> > compared graphically using the following utility. I hope this helps.
> >
> > http://www.iccview.de/index_eng.htm
>
> Mac users can use the ColorSync Utility but I think the plotting
> function only came in OS X 10.3.  I'd provide a link of some plots I
> did a while ago, but I seem to have deleted the files :(

Mac users with any late OS should also be able to use the link above (assuming
they are prepared to install a VRML browser plug-in), it produces a virtual 3D
plot which can be rotated. It's a good learning device.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998