On Feb 5, 2005, at 12:48 AM, Paul Stenquist wrote:

David,
If I remember correctly, I think you're working on a Mac.

Yep

Is there any drawback to printing with the ColorSynch workflow?

To be honest I've not used it. In Photoshop I use Print with Preview and select the appropriate print profile there, then in the print driver I select no colour management. In other words, Photoshop is doing all the work. I've heard that Adobe's colour engine is very good and considering some of my other experiences with the Epson print driver, I'd rather not trust it any more than I have to :)

BTW have you seen the "high quality" profiles available on the Epson USA website? They're not quite as good as a custom profile but they'll be better than the generic ones. I use them here and am very pleased with them.

I've been getting excellent results that way. I use the Apple Cinema Display and print to an Epson 2200 with PS CS on a G4 with 10.3.7.

I'm also using an Epson 2200 (but it's called the 2100 in this country).

I select "colorsynch workflow" in PS CS "color settings". This automatically switches the RGB color space to "generic rgb."

OK I've just had a quick look at how this works. If you want to choose a different working space with the ColorSync setting, go into the ColorSync Utility. Under Preferences there is a setting for the default RGB colour space. Pick the one you want from the list, and this will automatically change your colour space in Photoshop.

I actually have the Adobe profile set in Photoshop rather than setting it to ColorSync. I do love ColorSync even though I don't seem to make much use of it. I don't really need to as all of my colour-critical work is done in a single application (Photoshop).

Of course I have device profiles for the Epson 2200 and the monitor installed. When I convert a RAW file to tiff, I select the generic rgb color space. I don't really understand much of this, but I know that my printer can crank out a nearly exact duplicate of what I see on my monitor every time.

This is very good! If you fiddle with anything make sure you record everything you changed :)

I've only been able to make this work really well since I switched to an Apple Cinema Display. Previously I was using a cheapo Sylvania monitor and couldn't get a good match.

I'm using a reasonably good (but not high-end) Philips screen but it's been calibrated & profiled so I'm getting very good results - like you, what I see on the screen is what comes out of the printer. The only problem I have at the moment is that the lighting in the room is too dim for my screen's brightness setting.

BTW I do want a 23" Cinema Display... (the less realistic wish is for the 30", of course)

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/