The real reason salt "melts" ice is that the affinity of water to salt ions is greater than the affinity towards other water molecules. So the salt grabs the water away from the ice crystal grid.

So there...:-)

Jostein

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frantisek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: Day at the beach.Funny Paw

Eac> It melts the stuff. In many places, it is common to sprinkle vast
Eac> amounts of salt on the highways to keep them free of ice.
Eac> We have a potash mine not far from here, and they are now selling one
Eac> of their tailings materials (potassium chloride, I believe) as both
Eac> an ice melter and as a salt replacement for water softeners.

Eac> William Robb
Eac> ========
Eac> Whew. NOT a senior moment. Thanks.

Eac> You can tell I've never lived in snow.

Hi Marnie, it apparently lowers the temperature snow and ice melts, as
IIRC salt water has lower freezing point. Apart from that, it damages water
reserves, is not much good for the environment and destroys your
leather shoes in no time ;-) That's why I dislike having to be in a
city during the winter with its melting snow slush... Not mentioning
that is looses all the beauty of snow filled streets ;-)

Good light!
          fra