I'm not familiar with Pentax zooms and teleconverters. But ...

I also have a Canon 10D system. I have a Canon 1.4x Extender II,
a 70-200/4L and a 300/4L IS. Fitting the 1.4x Extender II to
either of those lenses results in so little degradation of
quality, it would be virtually impossible to tell that they were
in use if you didn't know already.

Godfrey