On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:00:28 -0500, Peter J. Alling
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Some time ago I posted a  PAW of a dam in a local State Park using the
> SMC-Pentax 17mm f4.0 fisheye.  The results were fairly good and I
> decided to see if I could replicate the shot with my new Vemar 12mm.
> I've decided to post the original and the new version just in case
> anyone is interested in comparing them.
> As a side note both required some cropping to center up the dam, I have
> a very hard time shooting curved horizons and keeping them straight.
> (Yes I know that doesn't make much sense but I can't think of any better
> way to describe it).
>
> A few comments first.  The film didn't scan as well as I would have
> hoped and I had a bit of trouble getting the white balance neutral, I
> wasn't really able to and I've left it with a pinkish cast.  The *ist-D
> rendition seems to be a bit more neutral.  The other differences stem
> mostly from the lenses, the SMC Pentax is quite a bit sharper, and the
> image was captured at a higher shutter speed with a wider aperture, to
> get even close to the same sharpness from the Vemer I had to use it's
> minimum aperture which necessitated a somewhat longer shutter speed.
> Over all the softer rendition of the digital shot isn't particularly
> objectionable in this case.  Both underwent some post processing to
> minimize "noise" and a touch of USM are about the only actions taken,
> except for the attempt at color balance.
>
> The Original:
> http://www.mindspring.com/~pjalling/PESO_--_CircWater.html
>
> Technical information:
> Pentax LX @ 1/30sec  [Kodak ISO 400 Gold]
> SMC-Pentax 17mm f4.0 @ f8.0.
>
> Revisited:
> http://www.mindspring.com/~pjalling/PESO_--_CircWaterRev.html
>
> Technical information:
> Pentax *ist-D ISO 400 @ 0.3sec
> Vemar 12mm f8.0 @ f16.
>
> At f16 the Color fringing is much less noticeable on the Vemar.

I, too, recall the earlier one.

I have to be honest, and say that I prefer that one to the new one.  I
like the colour rendition and sharpness.  The Pentax seems more
"contrasty" than the Vemar.

OTOH, given the fact that there's ice in the latest one, maybe it's
not fair to compare in the way I did.  OTOH, you asked, so I guess we
can throw fair out the window, eh?  <g>

cheers,
frank