I ended up doing something similar, but only as far as the extension cords.

The last fireworks we shot here, March 30th, I controlled 3 cameras remotely,
two of them at 100 metres, by using extension cords, connected at the control
end to light switches (the wall mounted kind), affixed to a piece of wood.

But at the other end (a Z1p, an MZ3 and a 645), I simply used cable switch F
ends, and a remote trigger cord end for the 645 (the same one that can be
used for a Super A / SuperProgram).

At 20 below zero, the fiddling with aluminium foil is just not an option.
Also the fact that everyone was counting on this to be the pictures of
record did not allow for a reshoot (aside from the $10,000 of fireworks).

Another advantage of using light switches instead of the regular
switches, is that when set to 'B', you don't have to hold the switches
closed for the duration of the shot, typically 5 to 20 seconds.

In the end, when reliability in adverse condition is an issue,
the manufacturer's connectors was the only way to go.

In this case, all three rolls came out fine. Even had two of them
scanned to photocd. I guess I have no excuse not submit to the
PUG ...

Michel