Mark Roberts mused:

> Martin Trautmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I did not read the KAF3 patents myself (three from 2001?). I doubt that they
> >would provide real information how the mount would look like. But there
> >should not be only less than KAF2, but somehow more. This may be hidden
> >within the digital contact, being information only. But maybe some further
> >contacts or mount extension will be required which would proof that current
> >lenses and bodies are not yet KAF3.
>
> I'll bet you 500 Quatloos that IS/USM contacts eventually show up in the
> area where the "aperture simulator" ring used to be :)

I'll take that bet.

There's still the aperture actuating lever, which is pretty close to
the location of the aperture sensing cam.  There's no need to place
any newly-introduced extra power & data contacts there; there's still
quite a bit of unused space in other parts of the lens mount.

I'm sure the aperture sensing was dropped as an independent decision
to eliminate a redundant mechanism, rather than being forced to make
space for some future connectors.

That doesn't necessarily mean I think it was a good decision; just
that it was a decision taken solely on the perceived merits of the link.