David Zaninovic wrote:
My opinion is that better tools are more fun to use, sure you can get results
with cheaper tools but it requires more work.
Example, you can use extension tubes with SMC-M 50/1.4 on D with manual flash
but then you have to press the green button, you can't
quickly control magnification, you can't quickly focus to something 2 meters
away or infinity, you don't have autofocus, you have to
calculate flash exposure, etc...  But the end result is probably the same as
with real macro where you just compose and shoot. :)

Confusion will be my epitaph but I'm afraid the above makes no sense to me. Using extension tubes _is_ real macro. I can use them with M lenses and TTL flash and focus manually on what I want to be focused on. It is only the bigger DOF that allows digital autofocus to appear to work.

Define "better".

If you have more fun you will make more pictures, more pictures usually equals
better pictures after you select few of them from the
bunch.

There are more ways of having fun than pointing and shooting. That way leads to complacency and mediocrity. My opinion.

mike