It depends upon what you are looking to photograph. A longer
lens will give you more working distance and better perspective
for three dimensional objects. A short lens will give you more
magnification with less extension, but DoF becomes razor thin
very very quickly and working distance disappears.

Once upon a time when I had Nikon 35mm SLRs, I did most macros
with a Nikkor 85/2 AI-S fitted onto an extension tube, then
picked up a MicroNikkor 200mm f/4 AI-S ED-IF lens for more
working distance on 3D stuff like bugs.

Now, with the *istDS, I found a Pentax-A 50mm f/2.8 Macro at a
reasonable price. It works well and has nice imaging qualities.
I also picked up a set of extension tubes which I'll use with
the FA135/2.8 for more 3D stuff

I understand the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro gives the Pentax
D-FA100mm f/2.8 a good run for its money on quality.

Godfrey