well, i can see it being priced around $400, mostly because it has ED elements. at that price, i think it ought to be pretty good and reasonably light weight. it also means i can likely mothball my 24-90 for when the full frame DSLR comes around, and the FA* 28-70 and FA* 80-200 get saved for when i can afford the weight or need the extra stop.

Herb....
----- Original Message ----- From: "jtainter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 2:08 PM
Subject: DA 50-200 f4-5.6

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_2553.html

ED elements (i.e., more than one). That's good.

F4-5.6. That may not be good or may not matter. Constant aperture would have meant that Pentax considers this a serious lens designed to give high image quality (as in the FA 20-35 f4 or the DA 16-45 f4). Variable aperture doesn't necessarily mean that it is a cheap consumer zoom, but it is not encouraging.

I will wait to see how it is priced. Pentax does not have a good record with inexpensive consumer telezooms. If this is priced inexpensively, I will consider that a cue to avoid it.