Jens,

My understanding is that in TTL mode, the Matrix mode exposure
evalution is working for the *ambient* portion of the light
metering, not for the flash metering. P-TTL allows an integrated
preflash/ambient exposure evalution based on both metering
capabilities.

I could be wrong, I'm certainly no expert on this stuff, but
that's my understanding. It makes sense as the Matrix metering
evaluation is completed before the mirror swings up, since the
meter sensors' light is piped through semisilvered bits of the
mirror into the sensors at the bottom of the mirror box.

Godfrey