To: "Godfrey DiGiorgi" <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: KA mount Carl Zeiss Jena lenses

Hmm. I was always under the impressiong that that particular
lens was made by Vivitar ... Vivitar made an excellent Series 1
600mm f/8 "Solid Cat" which, when compared against the Leica
lens of the same spec, was virtually identical in construction
quality, weight and performance.

Hmmm... That's interesting to me, if true. I do have both a VS1 600/8 Solid Cat and a Perkin-Elmer 600/8 Solid Cat (identical except for the coatings, as far as I can tell). I was never aware of any other versions of the design - I am curious (but a little dubious) about whether that "Leica R 600mm mirror lens" could be another incarnation of the original Perkin-Elmer design or not...

I'll tell you, that was one heavy lens!

Indeed!

By the way, my impression of the VS1 600/8's "big brother" (well, it's
actually almost the same size), the VS1 800/11, is that it is not as good a
lens as is the 600/8. Has anyone else ever tried the 800/11?

Fred