On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:52:03 -0500, John Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's the basic generic "brown tabby" - the default shape and
> colouring for cats before breeders start selecting variations.
>
> Many of the wild breeds (Norwegian Forest Cat, Scottish Wildcat)
> look just like that (though it's a bad idea to try to stroke them)
>
> Timur is a wonderful example of how the tabby stripes can break up
> into spots; I've got one of those in my current batch of fosters.
> We call her the Ocelittle (she's too small to be an Ocelot).

Yeah, now that I see the whole thing, I would have said tabby, too,
although I'm no expert.

>From the first portrait, it sort of almost had an Egyptian Mau look to it.

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/egyptian.html

I don't know a lot about cats and breeding (or humans and breeding,
now that I think about it <g>), but I once owned a purebred cat:  a
Devon Rex.  Coolest cat I've ever owned.  They have somewhat curly
fur, and since they have almost dander, they're good for those who are
allergic (which my ex is - to EVERYTHING in the world, as it turns
out):

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/devon.html

More personality in it's tail than most have at all, and ~great~
jumpers.  They look pretty weird, though...

Anyway, enough about cats.  The first pic was indeed a lovely cat portrait.

cheers,
frank