I realise it causes the same problem :-) That's the technique I've
been using for years as well, and I suspect it's a throw back to
microprism & split screen focus aids.

What I was asking, does anyone here compose and then focus? I tend to
do it this way in macro shots, where a slight shift in relative
subject to camera angle has a large effect on where the plain of focus
ends up.

Just curious.

Dave S