To: "Godfrey DiGiorgi" <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:47 PM
Subject: Re: Opinions about Tokinas (Was Sigmas)

That lens has done an *excellent* job of capturing the breast
feathers' structure. I used to keep birds (parrots mostly) and
that's what their breast feathers look like when seen close up.
Robins are much the same.

Well, I'm not so sure...

http://trc.ucdavis.edu/mjguinan/apc100/modules/Integument/hair/feathers2/feathers5.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=15&cat=1829&articleid=2776

http://www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/birds/Anatomy/feathers/feather_parts.html

I think that the photo is showing the barbs but not the barbules, and (as
mark has suggested) has sort of "sharpened" the barbs to provide a high
~apparent~ detail without actually showing the detail.

Fred