Sir, I feel you must deliberately miss my point. I can tell you one thing that's not MY problem, but it wouldn't be nice.

Tom C.

From: "Herb Chong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: Manual Focus Pentax Glass on istD
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:10:00 -0500

if you can't have someone pick up one of your lenses and answer the question "is this any good?" in a few words, what have you been looking at? this isn't about high precision classes with confidence intervals and null hypotheses. you don't need an MTF curve to say that this lens is one of your best. this is about you sitting down and saying this is good, this is better, and this is worse.

we can have a few dozen people do the ranking and run Spearman's Rank Correlation Coefficient on all of the combinations and then correlate them with MTF curves, coma, chromatic aberration and a host of other measurements, but that's not the point. the point is that each one of us has an internal notion of which of our lenses are better and which ones are worse, and the line slides to move more lenses to the worse side when your judgment is initially formed on the their film performance.

what this boils down to is that if you have a choice of lenses to do a particular job, you will carry the best one for the situation. if you know what one that is, you have already made the value judgment that i'm telling you about. if your judgment is completely random, that's not my problem.

Herb....
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>