That's not how I read the postings.
It looks to me as though the next thing to come is a high-pixel-count
digital body for the "professional" market that will take the 645 lenses.

Then we'll probably see a follow-on model or two for the existing *ist-D
range.  From other reports the most likely next release will be a lower-end
model, below the DS, trying to grab the entry-level marketplace (sub-$650).
If we do see a *ist-Dn, it's still going to be aimed at what Pentax see as
the *ist-D market - the low end.  Perhaps we'll get 8MP, but I doubt we'll
see 12MP (just as well, if the first reports of high-ISO noise are correct).

One piece of good news, for the enthusiast market, is that Hyper modes seem
to be here to stay. And as Pentax have apparently noticed that their buyers
seem to have quite a few existing lenses, and are eschewing cheap zooms,
we could get a few new nice primes - maybe even more 'limited' lenses.
Who knows - we may even see the return of the aperture simulator coupling.
(Personally, though, I rather doubt that).

On the other hand, the APS-C sensor is the design centre for the moment.

While Pentax do see a possible market niche between the *ist-D and the
high-end model, it's not likely that we'll see anything for that sector
in the next 12 months.  That's where I'd expect to see a 12MP sensor.
That's also where I'd expect to see a sensor larger than APS-C, although
I think that's even further away (after all, releasing a digital camera
body that doesn't work perfectly with a fairly new DA lens is risky).

Herb Chong mused: