E-mail is not delivered directly, an intermediate server may be "helpfully" deleting spam as well.
This could lead to all sorts of lost messages.

John Francis wrote:

Unfortunately my earlier post about missing eMail rather undermines
this theory.   I receive my pdml posts at an ISP where I can be 100%
certain that no such filtering takes place.  Despite that, though,
I don't get 100% of the pdml posts.

It's quite possible that verizon (and hotmail, and earthlink, and ...)
customers could lose additional email messages (although pdml posts
aren't particularly likely to trigger any automated spam filters).
But that can't explain messages not being delivered to my account,
or to several other list members who have direct access to their
own mail servers.

At this point it's really hard for me to believe that anything
*but* the list server is to blame for the delivery failures.

Tom C mused:

Hi John,

Yep, I understand. I thought this might at least help the PDML at large, to understand that missing e-mails are not the fault of our list server.

I have to say that on hotmail, I get very little, if any SPAM. Probably the price I pay for missing posts.

Tom C.