Jens Bladt
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://hjem.get2net.dk/bladt

-----Oprindelig meddelelse----- Fra: David Zaninovic [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sendt: 28. februar 2005 16:28 Til: pentax-discuss@pdml.net Emne: Re: Hmm.. ist DS competition?

I would be more happy if they worked on more exposure latitude than more megapixels. D has much less exposure latitude than Astia 100F. I can't take any pictures at noon like I could with Astia. :) Astia was great, but digital wins in every other aspect except exposure latitude for me. Maybe I should try using my AF360 set on contrast control, does that help ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: Hmm.. ist DS competition?

Of course I wasn't suggesting it was the camera to switch systems for.

Like

I'd be that bold! I'm suggesting that DSLR manufacturers need to stay
somewhat competitive in emerging markets as well.

This newcomer is pretty much the same size (and lighter) as the ist DS,

and

at 8mp, and cheaper than most of the 6.3mp's around now (the ist DS is
slightly cheaper, but people often go "it's a hundred dollars more, but

it's

2 megapixels more!"), it's definitely going to be very tempting to an SLR
virgin. Not to mention the price is list price, it often comes out cheaper
doesn't it?

I think it's exciting news because unlike with the 20D, it looks like this
is a direct assault on the competition's strong markets (ist D, ist DS,
D70).

I also think it's pretty astute of Canon not to shoot themselves in the

foot

like Nikon did with the D70 making the D100 more or less obsolete (the

350D

has an 8.0mp sensor, while the 20D still hangs on to its 8.3mp).

Bottom line, I want to know which battle Pentax (actually Nikon too for

that

matter) will choose to fight. Can they take on the 20D? I'm not even sure
they've got the scale to take on the 350D in terms of price! I'd much

rather

see a 10mp "ist Dx" than them cut the ist ds price in half..

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Ryan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alin Flaider" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Ryan Lee" <pentax-discuss@pdml.net> Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 12:07 AM Subject: Re: Hmm.. ist DS competition?

 The too small viewfinder denies the other main reason for operating
 a DSLR. No true spot meter either. Certainly not the camera to
 switch systems for.

 Servus,  Alin

Ryan wrote:
RL> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos350d/
RL> Canon 350D: About the same dimensions as the ist DS, 60g lighter,

and

8