> From: Frantisek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2005/03/02 Wed AM 09:03:20 GMT
> To: David Mann <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
> Subject: Re: OT Partitioning advice needed
>

> Wednesday, March 2, 2005, 8:34:23 AM, David wrote:
> DM> On Mar 2, 2005, at 12:50 PM, Frantisek wrote:
>
> >> It's good (Photoshop tells you about it) to keep PS scratch disk on
> >> different partition than the Window's paging file is.
>
> DM> I'd recommend not using a separate partition, but a separate physical
> DM> drive.  Otherwise you'll just be making the heads move twice as far to
> DM> do the same thing.
>
> Thanks ;-( Now I need to buy another high speed drive just for scratch
> files! Thank you Sir your advice is bankrupting me

It doesn't need to be high speed.  It also doesn't need to be big, in
comparative terms.  We scrap numerous machines every year.  I have rescued
plenty of 1~2Gb drives for people to use solely as scratch drives with PS.
Everyone that gets one reports a significant improvement in performance.  If
the (old, well-used) drive croaks, another is only a screwdriver away.

mike

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
virus-checked by McAfee
visit www.ntlworld.com/security for more information