Hey, gang --

A couple of Thursdays ago I braved the beginnings of a
snowstorm and set off down I-81 to Winchester, VA, about
45 miles south of home, with an SMC-A*400/2.8 and two
bodies. Destination: Wimberley. Objective: Proving to
myself, once and for all, that this lens wouldn't balance
properly on a Wimberley head so I could stop lusting
after one.

Lens collars are one of my exasperation points with
Pentax. For every one they do right (the 600/4 comes
to mind), they do others with the foot too short and
too far back (like my 400), or omit it completely on
lenses that by rights ought to be collared. I'm using
a Really Right Stuff MPR-1 6" lens plate attached as
far forward as it will go, but even pulling it all
the way back in my ballhead's clamp, the rig is more
nose-heavy than I'm fully comfortable with.

Wimberley is in a small industrial park, two easy
right turns off the Interstate. Two smallish office
rooms in front, plus a back shop of indeterminate size
(I didn't get to see that). The tops of the wall
cubbies chronicle the evolution of the Wimberley head,
all the way from an early prototype made out of wood
and metal strapping. Nice people, too. David Wimberley
introduced himself, claiming that he's not a photo-
grapher. I asked how it happened that so respected a
photographic product was developed by a nonshooter;
he just laughed and kind of changed the subject.

Anyway, they got out a full Wimberley atop a Gitzo 1410,
and I got out the 400 with LX and winder. We hefted
it up, slid it back and forth in the clamp a bit, tightened
it down, and loosened the gimbal controls. Oh, crap!
It balanced. Nicely. You really can move your rig around
with one finger. It's easy to see why people who have this
head love it. The Wimberley clamp is a help here: it has
channels in the bed that let the plate safety stops go
almost to the center in either direction. (I understand
that the latest RRS clamp does this, too.)

It was interesting that the staff said they hadn't seen any
Pentax big glass in person. (They agreed that it's green,
by the way.) Would I mind if they took some digital images
of the setup? <vbg>

So a good time was had by all -- but the little angel and
devil on my shoulders, Enablement and Disenablement, are
yammering at me louder than ever. Sigh...

Later,
Stephen