I haven't been able to find this documented anywhere and I don't remember reading this on the list so maybe I'm the first here to figure this out.

   * Put an M or K class lens on your *ist-D
   * Set the mode selector to M
   * Switch on the camera.
   * Stop down the aperture (The meter stays on).
   * Adjust the Aperture ring (No surprise the exposure indicator
     displays the change).
   * Adjust the Aperture Wheel...   (The shutter speed changes!)

It would be a PITA to use full stop down metering mode if you had to change the shutter speed with the front hand grip wheel, Pentax
cleverly changed the function of the rear wheel to modify shutter speed in this mode! It makes stop down metering almost a joy to use.

--
I can understand why mankind hasn't given up war. During a war you get to drive tanks through the sides of buildings and shoot foreigners - two things that are usually frowned on during peacetime.
--P.J. O'Rourke