Well, I actually got it to the repair shop today (last week was a busy
one at work).  You may recall that my Black Beauty won't trip the
flash.

Russ said that it's likely a set of contacts in the shutter mechanism
that trigger the flash that wear out commonly (after 20 years or so
<g>).  Or, sometimes they don't wear out, but just go out of
adjustment or something.

He didn't sound too concerned, but I'll get an estimate in a week or
so.  That's good news (they won't usually do an estimate if it's
unrepairable).

I mentioned that the thin weather-stripping around the prism cover
(that I removed to see if all the contacts/solder joints looked okay)
needed to be replaced.  He seemed more concerned that such thin
stripping may be hard to find - if that's their biggest problem, then
I'm happy.

Further reports as new developments arise...

cheers,
frank