On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:39:13 +0100, Frantisek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    What I would like to see in such an unit would be:
>
>    1) shock-mounted innards. Electronics AND hdd.
Have you seen the prices on the shock proof laptops?  This is
certainly feasible, but the "prosumer" crowd with their Digital Rebels
ain't gonna pay for it.
>    2) in the best models, dustproof and spilllproof
Also expensive.  Or at least the manufacturer will want you to think it is.
>    3) easy and reliable verification of transfers
This should be standard issue, regardless of the price point.
>    4) running on interchangeable batteries (rechargeable (secondary) AAs seem
>    be the best, as you can get longlasting primary Lithiums when you
>    can't recharge the NiMHs, _with_ voltage regulation (so for 5V
>    HDDs, running from 5-6AA cells _with_ regulated voltage down to
>    stable 5V. The Compactdrive is unregulated, sadly.
>
>    Is that asking too much ;-) ?
Not if you're willing to pay for it.

--
Scott Loveless