Dario wrote:

> Except that a good 10-16 Mpix full-format DSLR outperforms the needs of say
> 99% of pros.

The same could be said about 35mm. Anyway, I don't believe needs has anything
to do with it. 99% of pros doesn't need an F5 either but they use it anyway. As
longs as performance can be had without too much hassle and price handicap it
will find its market regardless of needs. Needs are pretty much defined by
whats available.

>For that reason, Bronica gave up, while rumors say that Contax
> and Hasselblad will be the next makers going out of business or downsizing a
> lot. And Sinar is not going better. I didn't notice Rollei at PhotoShow last
> weekend. I don't know how Mamiya is going.

The reason is simply that none of these companies have the resources or the
know-how to make digital cameras. They are all backyard companies compared to
Pentax. Unless they are being bought up by a major player they are without a
future.

> Now I can understand why Pentax is hesitating a lot in making the 645D.
> Dario (in the bush :-)

Are they hesitating?
It seems to me like Pentax is building a completely new customer base for the
K-mount system, gradually introducing upgrade paths for the *ist D's without
much regard for present Pentax users into high-end already. The immediate
high-end offering seem to be into medium format. To me me it seems like Pentax
have no other option if they want to be a major DSLR player; a $5000 Pentax
K-mount DSLR simply won't sell whereas there are plenty of MF users, Pentax or
otherwise, that might consider a MF based DSLR. There's a significasnt number
of photographers who won't even consider digital until it offers considerably
higher image quality than whats available from film based media.

Pål