On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:03:50 +0000, John Whittingham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The 28-** lenses seem to have gradually declined in quality since the 28-105
FA power zoom and it shows in MTF scores, build quality and other areas.

The old power zoom had good contrast and sharpnes, reasonable build quality,
rapid and precise AF, very little flare, no zoom creep, good close focus 1:3
it even retracts to it's minimum length when powered off :)

They're still listed new in the UK at around £300!

What would you recommend from the current catalog for a "normal" zoom?
 Of course, the 28-70/2.8 looks nice, but my wallet says otherwise.
Any thoughts on the 28-105/4-5.6 IF or the 24-90/3.5-4.5 AL?

--
Scott Loveless
Born free.  Taxed to death.

Scott-

I have the original FA 28-105 (w/power zoom) and it is a well-made, sharp lens although a bit heavy. I used this a lot when I was shooting slides on my PZ-1 (now gone). The later 28-105 versions are said not to be as sharp, although the current f 3.2-4.5 version has its partisans.

As most of my shooting these days is with the *ist-D I am now using the FA 24-90. It's rather sloppily constructed with LOTS of play in the lens barrel when zoomed out, but it seem to take sharp images. It's a lot lighter as well. The glories of plastic...

If you want/need F2.8 you might consider the Tamron SP 28-75. It's heavier than the FA 24-90 but is very good for a non-Pentax lens, almost as sharp as primes.

As always, YMMV and others here may opine differently.

Regards, Jim