The 28-105 power zoom (the lens I mounted on my MZ-S to test)
changes length by perhaps 4mm over the whole focus range.
That's about 1/3 of the change in length due to the zoom.

So the MZ-S loses closer to a quarter than half the potential
benefit if it were to change the focus as well as the zoom.

On my other two power zoom lenses, neither focussing nor
zooming affect the length of the lens in any way at all.

Joe Wilensky mused: