William,

   Not all black and white cats are male, this applies only to Calico's
(if I remember right), and I _know_ that it is possible for a female cat
to be black and white, but it's EXTREMELY rare . . . don't remember the
exact details, but I believe that the gene is only on the cat's
equivelent of the X chromo, so you would need 2 recessive X chromos to
get a female with black and white . . .

Illinois Bill