Canon has. The EOS 350D (I can't remember the Stupid US Rebel name), replaces the 300D in that price range and the 300D remains in the line at a new lower price. Pentax dropped the price of the *ist-Ds to match the price of it's direct competition. It's a relatively good move and unlike Canon who can make markets, Pentax has to react. Who knows maybe Canon was actually reacting to the *ist-Ds with the 350D. Companies that are nearing monopolistic power _fear_ competition, just look at Microsoft for example.

Bob Sullivan wrote:

So what is the reason for this price drop to US$700?
Is there specific competition at this price point or...
Is Pentax going to introduce something new???
Regards,  Bob S.