B&H and Adorama are the two shops I visit when I'm in NYC.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/map_r2_c2.gif is the map for locating B&H
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=contactus (no map for Adorama but
their information is on that page)

Adorama and B&H are more "midtown" locations. Please NOTE that their hours
of operation change DRASTICALLY on Friday afternoons/Saturday days due to
the Jewish Sabbath.

Some folks like 17th St. Photo but I've never been there.
http://www.17photo.com/

17th St. Photo is also considered "midtown"

All three are on the island of Manhattan.

If you're buying your equipment in the store in person then you will be
paying local taxes 8.625% - if you calculate that into your equipment
purchases you'll often find out that it still is a lot cheaper than buying
"at home" :)

Have fun and grab gear!!

Cheers
Dave