Just a hunch, I don't have any hard knowledge on this....

I think one issue with wide-angles is that the all optical elements have to be properly centered. I know one German photo journal used to test this when doing MTF tests. Maybe a slight misalignment of an element could cause what you observe?

Jostein

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lasse Karlsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: Could anybody explain this?

Hi Alan,

I can confirm that I make the same observations that you're reporting.

I have no explanation.
However, if someone had cut out the blurry part and asked me "what's up?" I would have said that from my experience it looks like blur from camera movement or shake.
This led me to ask myself, is it possible that (particularly) a wide angle lens, if being turned "around it's axis" in one direction during exposure, one utter side of the picture may get blurred in a similar way to your pictures, while the opposite side, for some physical/optical reason that I cannot explain, won't exhibit the same or equal (type of blur) blur?
I may be completely off here, I'm just theorizing from my initial observation of the blur (on which I may very well be mistaken on).
You know - I don't - the facts about the shooting, shutter speed and possible camera movement, which may completely eliminate.the grounds for my questions.

Just some food for thought.

Good luck,
Lasse